Saturday, August 7, 2010

Aware

And all of a sudden I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory. And I realize just how beautiful You are and how great Your affections are for me... ~ David Crowder Band

Often times, we are so very aware of our problems--our "afflictions"-- that we almost have to trip over the realization that they're no longer there...

I remember after Brad's heart surgery how tough it was. His doctors said that it would take a full year for him to recover. I was the only one working and not making very much money. After almost a year, even though Brad had returned to work by then, we realized we just weren't making it, so Brad's mom was kind enough to let us stay with her for a bit. I remember one day, when I was talking to my mom on the phone. I said, "I don't know what it is, but I just can't stop eating. I'm not hungry and there's plenty of food, but I just can't get myself to stop eating everything in sight." What my mom said really helped me. She said, "Your body--your mind--has been in 'survival' mode for so long, that it doesn't know how to stop. When you were by yourself and struggling, your body was determined to keep you alive...and it hasn't caught up to the fact that you're not going to run out of food and starve to death. You need to retrain your mind, so that it knows you'll be ok." I wasn't overweight; I wasn't even really gaining weight, but I just couldn't stop eating and it was freaking me out.

I spent a lot of time after that praying, and my mom prayed. And I started to spend quiet time with God...not everyday, but some. And God helped me. He helped me to retrain my mind. Thank God my mom knows Jesus and has the Holy Spirit inside of her so she'd know what to tell me--words that I would hear. My mind was in a cycle and I needed someone to say, "STOP"! My mind had to "trip" over the fact that God had taken care of us and I didn't have to anymore. Looking back on it, I never had to take care of us, because God always did, but my mind never knew it.

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-His good, pleasing and perfect will. ~ Romans 12:2

No comments:

Post a Comment