Sunday, August 7, 2016

A Gathering of Flowers, part 3

No, you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to countless thousands of angels in a joyful gathering. ~ Hebrews 12:22 NLT

Most people don’t know that when I was in high school I wrote and tried to publish two Science-Fiction novels. The rejection letters all said the same thing: “Not original enough.” It’d been done before; they didn’t need me to do it again. That rejection hurt and I never tried my hand at Sci-Fi again. It was a good decade before I’d even post anything on a blog. The devil thought he’d beaten me; he thought he had the victory. The devil was wrong!

Over the course of the last 10-15 years, God has been strategically surrounding me with people who’ve been encouraging me in my writing. Though I’ve allowed God to lead me to write more transparently, I often battle the fear that says, “The world has enough writers; why do they need you?” But God’s Word reminds me, “Because the Sovereign LORD helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore have I set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame,” (Isaiah 50:7 NIV).

A friend recently said she believed God was calling all His writers; no, there aren’t enough in the world. I believe that extends to all artists. How often does a single picture, song, poem, book, devotional, etc. move you? The handful of artists that are seen today can’t expose the whole world to what God wants to share with them. He needs YOU! In order to make the sweet aroma of Christ stronger, God needs ALL His flowers. A Gathering of Flowers is a collection of creativity, beauty, and fragrance gathered together for one purpose: to share God with the world. If God has placed a dance, poem, book, drawing, speech, or song in your heart, won’t you let Him use it to reach His people?

©Heather Potts 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment