Monday, June 20, 2022

Feeling Dry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjNZf878ISQ

Oh My Soul ~ Casting Crowns

 

Why, my soul, are you downcast?
    Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
    for I will yet praise him,
    my Saviour and my God.

~ Psalm 43:5 NIV

 

Have you ever had a good day, but then suddenly, for no apparent reason, you felt sad, like to the point of tears? We’d had a good day, but suddenly, I felt like crying and couldn’t explain why. I did try to explain it: maybe I’m overtired; maybe it’s because I’m a girl; perhaps it’s hormones. Who knows? I certainly didn’t.

 

After everyone had gone to bed, I sat down with my Bible and journal and flipped to Psalm 43:5 and began writing the verse. As I began to write, God did a beautiful thing for me; two things, actually. The first, was that He washed His peace over me, and I no longer felt anxious or sad. The second, was that He allowed my eyes to drift into the next column and see where I had previously underlined Psalm 42:2:

My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
    When can I go and meet with God?

That was the answer to my emotional tizzy: my soul was needing to meet with God.

 

Due to several things, I had an immensely hard time waking up this morning, which left my quiet-time choppy (at best), as I juggled the girls' needs, instead of keeping my “date” with Jesus. And I (clearly) needed that time. I needed to allow God time to hold me, Holy Spirit to speak to me, and Jesus to lead me. But because I didn’t take the time at the start, something in my day left me feeling dry…until I sat and met with God. It’s an amazing and beautiful thing what entering His presence does for you.

 

If, throughout the course of your day, you find yourself feeling dry, take the advice given in Psalm 42:5-8, (MSG):

Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul?
    Why are you crying the blues?
Fix my eyes on God—
    soon I’ll be praising again.
He puts a smile on my face.
    He’s my God.

When my soul is in the dumps, I rehearse
    everything I know of you,

. . .
Then God promises to love me all day,
    sing songs all through the night!
    My life is God’s prayer.

©Heather Potts 2022

1 comment: