Thursday, April 15, 2010

Not Against Flesh & Blood

Since the first time I heard her, I've been a fan of Joyce Meyer. Her words are life giving and funny and, more often than not, I feel compelled to action because of her words. God has anointed her mouth to speak His words to His people--although she'll be the first to admit that her mouth has also gotten her in a lot of trouble. In our small group at work, we are studying words and the power in words. As a woman, God has blessed me with a lot of words that I feel compelled to use up every day. However, how I use them up, what I choose to say, is my choice.

One of the things we did yesterday in group was to read our favorite scripture and give a brief explanation as to why. Now, my favorite scripture has always been John 16:33, In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. It gives me encouragement when things happen, because it is Christ who lives in me who has already overcome the world, so I need not fear. That has always been my favorite verse, but I'm really starting to "get to know" (as the Spirit brings this to my remembrance) Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood..." That means that I am not fighting with my friends, my parents, my siblings, or any other human. My real fight is with the enemy. It's hard to remember that when its flesh and blood speaking the words that pierce your heart, but it's the truth. The worst part is that you can't control someone else...but you can and are responsible for controlling you. I've heard Joyce Meyer say, "I'm not Holy Spirit Jr., and I don't want the position." It's not my responsibility to control, convict, or condemn anybody else. I am only responsible for me.

Someone once said that the best way to defeat the devil is to praise the Lord and pray for God's kids. If you're feeling hurt in your heart over the words that someone spoke, let this be your prayer, as it is also becoming mine: Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right spirit within me. Do not banish me from your presence, and don't take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me again the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you, (Psalm 51:10-12). And when the Lord has restored our hearts, we can sing and dance and say: Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs...Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name, (Psalm 100:1-2, 4).

No comments:

Post a Comment