Thursday, April 8, 2010

When I am Weak

In this world you will have trouble. But take heart. I have overcome the world ~ John 16:33

Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I [my flesh] am weak, than I [Christ's power in me] am strong. ~ 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature [perfect, finished] and complete [in all parts], not lacking anything. ~ James 1:2-4

[All kinds of trials] have come so that your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and my result in praise, glory, and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. ~ 1 Peter 1:7

When God has called us for His purposes and gives us a vision, a test is always certain to come. At first glance, most people--myself included--would think Paul was off his rocker when he said, "Consider it pure joy" when your world falls apart and you're on shaky ground. We've all been there: in the midst of the muck and the yuck. Paul, as you may know, is 100% human, and probably when he was in the middle--especially the first few times--he considered it muck, too. It was when he looked back on it and saw that Christ's power was with him and in him and on him, that he was able to say, "Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly."

A lot of people are going through a lot of things right now--"Christ follower" and "non-Christ follower" alike. We're all facing some kind of hurt, hang up, or heart ache. However, if we will realize that when Christ's power--the power of the Holy Spirit--is in us (and He's there if we've invited Him in), then we can do all things, endure all things, and conquer all things. It is not we--not our flesh, our human bodies, not our human minds--who are doing it, but Christ's mighty power that lives inside of us.

If you are going through something--anything--today and you feel weak, I encourage you to pray this prayer: Lord, I don't have strength in me and I can't do it on my own. But Lord, You have strength, and You have might, and You have power--power that raised Christ from the dead. Lord, I pray that you would fill me with a fresh filling of the Holy Spirit today, that I may walk in Your strength, Your boldness, and Your might. Lord, I don't want to do it on my own anymore, but I want to partner with You, so that, as it says in Your word, "Christ's power may rest on me," and we will finish this thing to completeness. Thank you, Lord Jesus, that you have promised to see this through with me and I will never be alone. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment