Tuesday, October 26, 2010

See

Now Jericho was tightly shut up because of the Israelites. No one went out and no one came in. Then the Lord said to Joshua, "See, I have delivered Jericho into your hands, along with its king and its fighting men." ~ Joshua 6:1-2

I was in my car the other day when I heard on of Jayar's daughters telling a story on the JoyFM, and I thought to myself, "When did we stop telling amazing stories with giants and princesses and magical lands? When did we become too 'grown-up'?" I, personally, am a huge fan of happy endings. If it ends poorly or has a sad ending, the whole movie was a waste, to me. I prefer larger-than-life, too-good-to-be-true stories. I believe God does, too, but He likes to be the author, making them all happen.

In the scripture above, we read that Jericho was so shut up that no one went in and no one came out; there was not the slightest weakness to be found. But that doesn't matter to God; for He is a God of bigger ideas and better endings. Given the scene, God simply said to Joshua, "See." He said, "Know, look, realize, become aware; I have done this thing for you. Can you see it in your mind's eye? Can you live it in your heart? Can you taste the victory, yet?" To some degree, God calls all of us to "see," for we serve an invisible God; one who is not discovered, realized, or known with our five senses. It is only by faith that we can see and know God.

I once heard someone say, "If you can dream it, you can do it." The Bible goes a step further, and says that God "calls things that are not as though they were," (Romans 4:17). That day, standing before the walls of Jericho, God said to Joshua, "See, I have delivered Jericho into your hands." He didn't say, "I will;" He said, "I have."

What is your Jericho? What do you need to "see" God deliver into your hands? Is it a debt that seems insurmountable? Is it a conflict in your marriage or with your kids? Is it a weight or health issue? It is an addiction? Whatever it is, God does not say, "Your problem is too big for Me." No, He says, "See, I have given you this thing. I have delivered it into your hands." Our job is not to worry about how God will get it done, but to see and know and envision that it is done. Our job is to call it done, to claim it done, to see it done.

Lord, thank you that you have delivered this thing into our hands. Help us today to envision what that looks, feels, tastes like. Help us to experience it as done. I thank you, Father, that it is already done in our lives. In Jesus' Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment