Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Whom Shall I Fear?

The Lord is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? ~ Psalm 27:1

The Bible tells us that the name of the Lord is above all names, (Philippians 2:9). Now that is Truth, but do we believe it? In 365 different verses, the Bible tells us, "Do not fear". Why? Because God knew that as humans, one of our first reactions to things would be fear and/or anxiety. But God doesn't want that for our lives; He wants more, much more.

The scripture above teaches us four important things about God:
1) The Lord is my light. Throughout the course of our lifetimes, we will enter many places of darkness, in our minds, hearts, and emotions. This verse is a reminder that the Lord goes with us through them all. He is the light onto our path, even if it's just one step at a time.
2) The Lord is my salvation. The scripture doesn't just mean that he redeems me from an eternity in hell, although there is that, too. Salvation, here, means deliverance, safety, victory. In times of trouble and times of need, I can call upon the Lord and He will come to my aid, He will deliver me, keep me safe, and bring victory into my life and my situation.
3) The Lord is my stronghold. A stronghold is a place of safety and protection. Remember the story of the house built on the rock vs. the house built on the sand, (see Matthew 7)? Storms came upon both situations, but the house built on the rock was the one that survived. Why? Because a rock--The Rock--is a firm foundation, not shifting like sand, but solid. It provides safety, protection, a harbor from rising waters. The Lord is that rock, and the Rock is our stronghold against the the things that mean to destroy us.
4) There is no one I need to fear. "Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name," (Philippians 2:9). The name of the Lord is above every name. How many names? Every single last one--all. In Greek, the word, "all" means all. In every situation and every circumstance, the Lord is the over-comer, the victor, the One who rises above them all. When the Lord calls us to cast all our anxieties upon Him, He means all.

Cast all your anxiety upon Him because He cares for you. ~1 Peter 5:7

No comments:

Post a Comment