Tuesday, March 15, 2011

When Strength is but a Shadow

Know you what I love most about the story of David and Goliath? It's not that he fought well, but that he believed well. ~ One Night with the King

I can do a lot by my own strength, within my own power, but I cannot move mountains, I cannot defeat giants, and I cannot heal the sick. I cannot cause the blind to see, or the mute to speak, or the dead to rise. I cannot stop the sun, still the seas, nor defy the laws of physics. I can get dressed and hope not to stub my toe on anything. I can walk my dog and hope that he won't run away. I can drive to work and hope that no one hits me. I can work all day and hope that everything goes well. I can drive home and hope that I don't have any car trouble. I can do and hope for a lot of things, but the Truth I've discovered is that every time I need hope, I really need help...God's help. The Bible tells us that "faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen," (Hebrews 11:1). God is the thing not seen and faith is everything I have hoped for, everything I need help doing. So, I can determine to continue to try to do things by my power and my strength, or I can stop lying to myself and realize that it's God's strength and the power of the Holy Spirit that I need to get me through my day. As the Bible says, "If God is for us, who can be against us," (Romans 8:31).

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit," says the Lord Almighty. ~ Zechariah 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment