Monday, June 20, 2011

Changing Pace

Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me ~ Matthew 11:28-29

If you know what a yoke is then Jesus saying, "Take my yoke...and I will give you rest," seems like an oxymoron. A yoke is a device used to break another animal of its stubbornness and to teach the younger animal to walk at the pace and in step with the older animal. The yoke forces them to work and walk together. What Jesus wants is for you to stop trying to do it your way, on your terms, at your pace, with your knowledge. Instead, He wants you to walk at His pace, along His path, in His timing, and following His word. It should be so easy to listen and follow what He says, but so often, we try to break lose from that yoke, assuming we know better.

If you find that you've been running into brick walls and closed doors everywhere you go, perhaps it's time to stop following yourself and begin to learn from the One who wants the best for you. Take His yoke upon you and learn from Him. He promises to teach you what you need to know when you need to know it, and more importantly, how to rest.

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me...and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. ~ Matthew 11:29-30

1 comment: