Saturday, January 14, 2012

So Take Heart!

In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. ~ John 16:33, NIV

I’ve always loved this scripture.  I think it’s because it tells an honest story about what we encounter in this world, but also encourages us with the Truth.  I learned a long time ago that the word “but” negates anything that comes before it.  Here, Jesus is telling us that this world is not just going to give us butterflies and bunnies all the time.  Unfortunately, hardships will befall us.  But He does end there.  He says, “But take heart!”  That’s exciting, and even more encouraging is that Jesus wasn’t the only one who had the power and authority to overcome. 

Jesus told us, “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father,” (John 14:12, NLT).  We might ask, how can that be?  And the answer is through grace.  Grace is not only favor, but also power.  In Ephesians 1:19, it’s described as “immeasurable and unlimited.”  And in 1 John 5:4, we learn that this power to overcome the adversities in our world are extended to us, too, “for everyone born of God overcomes the world.” 

The next time you are facing something that seems insurmountable to you, just remember to take heart!  For it was not only Christ who overcame, but He also extended that power to us, as well.  So take heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment