Thursday, March 3, 2016

Preparing the Land

Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God’s way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us. ~ 2 Timothy 3:16-17 MSG

I like words… I like to look them up and see all that they mean. I enjoy creating pictures using words. I like to paint on the canvas of people’s minds using a collection of strategically placed words.  I desire to share with others what I see when Father God speaks to me.

I love to read my Bible and have Holy Spirit shine a light under a certain passage as He says, “Write this one down and hear what I have to say.” And down it goes into my journal. Sometimes the words are a refreshing spring to my soul, pouring on just what I need in a moment of desperation and need. But sometimes the words taste bitter and feel harsh. And when I read them I think, “Why this word, God? Why not some fun promise or refreshing psalm?” Oftentimes, in the moment He doesn’t tell me those answers. He just makes a deposit, a little seedling in the dirt.

“When your words came I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear your name, O Lord God Almighty,” (Jeremiah 15:16 NIV). The first time I read this verse, I thought, “Of course, because Your words bring me life,” but I only thought of “fun” passages. God brings life by having us cultivate all untilled land. We do that through examination and allowing His Word to divide the places of our hearts that need His light. If I am to be a student of the Word, I can’t just consume what I deem as “good” words. I must also ponder and chew on the “difficult” passages, in order that He might break off of me any waste material. When I’m not weighted down by waste, I’m free to shine His light in dark places.

©Heather Potts 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment