Friday, April 7, 2017

Yucky Goo

And I will give them one heart [a new heart], and put a new spirit within them. I will take from them the heart of stone, and will give them a heart of flesh [that is responsive to My touch] ~ Ezekiel 11:19 AMP

Last year, God said He was going to remove all the impurities from my heart in order to make room for what He wanted to do in my life. I began to pray over myself, that I’d live my life through the filter of the Holy Spirit. I especially asked that God would remove from my heart anything that was not of Him and fill me with His life.

This past August, the need for that prayer became evident as Savannah struggled through the change of having to start school. Though Savannah was excited, the change scared her and she clung to any form of control she could muster, including refusing to get dressed…every single day. We tried everything we could think of, but the most effective was prayer: praying with and for her, and praying over our parenting. One particularly rough morning, Holy Spirit told me to pray my prayer for her on the way to school. I did. After a few weeks, Savannah participated in the prayer, asking God to remove the “yucky goo” from her heart (the things that don’t belong), and replace it with the Fruit of the Spirit.

God’s still working on my heart, reminding me to surrender and cast aside the impurities—things that don’t belong. I wish it was a one-time-and-done event. Unfortunately, I’ve allowed circumstances and people’s careless words to shift my focus, which fills my heart with yucky goo things. But God continues to lavish His love upon me, calling me, again, to surrender those things to Him, so that He can replace them with His love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control—the Fruit of the Spirit.

Maybe, like me, you’ve allowed people or circumstances to shift your focus, filling your heart with yucky goo, when what you really need is His love, joy, or peace. But He’s a faithful God and He’s waiting for us to confess and surrender those things to Him. His desire is to replace the yucky goo with a new heart, one that’s filled with His Fruit. The choice is ours. Which will you choose?

©Heather Potts 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment