Saturday, April 22, 2017

Hidden

No one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden, or under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, so that those who come in may see the light. ~ Luke 11:33 NIV

Recently, a friend was surprised to learn that reading my work in front of others terrifies me. She said, “But you share all the time.” In my mind I replied, “But I’m hidden.” When I write, I feel invisible, safely hidden behind a wall where no one can see me. This imaginary wall hides me from facing the fears that say, “What if they don’t like it? Or worse, what if they ask on what authority I have to write it?” But God is faithful to remind me that I stand upon the authority given through Christ Jesus and it doesn’t matter what others think, because, it’s not my reputation on the line; it’s His, (Matthew 28:18; Hebrews 6:13-18 MSG).

Maybe, like me, God has called you to step out in faith and speak in public, write and publish a book, start a business, homeschool your kids, change careers, or do whatever it takes to achieve His call on your life. The enemy, aware not only of your calling, but also of the lives it will touch and change if you do as you’ve been called, stops at nothing to defeat you before you’ve even begun. In her book, Fervent, Priscilla Shirer asks, if the enemy is working that hard to keep you from moving forward, “Aren’t you at least a little bit curious what he’s trying to keep you from experiencing?”

Just like you wouldn’t hide a lamp under a bowl, God doesn’t want you to hide the gift and desire He’s birthed within you any longer. Let God’s light shine brightly for all to see, that they may be drawn to His presence! God wants to use you. Commit to stepping out, today, and let His light shine through you, for all to see!

©Heather Potts 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment