Friday, May 5, 2017

Greatest Impact

The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. ~ Psalm 18:2 NLT

This week is Teacher Appreciation Week. And while we don’t appreciate our school teachers enough for their countless hours, efforts, and prayers for our children, I think we also fail to see the impact that our church’s children’s ministries have on the whole family. If you have kids that still live at home, regardless of age, I encourage you (if you don’t already have one) to find a church with an emphasis on raising up the next generation. The children’s pastors, teachers, and countless volunteers at our church home partner with us to teach our children about God’s love for them, raising them up in the way that they should go, (Proverbs 22:6).

A partnership means that we, the parents, have a role, too. The first of which is a healthy relationship with God, then our spouse, and finally, our children. One of the pastors at our church wrote a curriculum for parents, which we were supposed to lead the semester that Brad hurt his back. Praise God we are through that season! This year, however, with the struggles we’ve had with Savannah, we went back to that curriculum, this time as the students. We needed HELP and, thankfully, that’s what the curriculum was called and gave us. Of all the things we learned, the most impactful was having daily Bible reading and prayer as a couple. While we’d been having individual God-time, we’d never done it as a couple. Reading scripture and praying together had the GREATEST impact on our marriage and, as a result, on our parenting and relationships with our kids.

First, I want to thank our pastor for the emphasis he puts on the next generation. I also want to thank all of our next generation pastors, leaders, teachers, and volunteers who partner with us in raising up our girls in the calling that God has placed upon their lives.

Second, I want to encourage you, if you are married—regardless of having children in your home—to start a daily Bible reading plan with your spouse. It will impact your marriage in ways that you could never have imagined and will be the greatest gift you give yourself.

©Heather Potts 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment