Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Precious Real Estate

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. ~ 2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV

With looming decisions before us, fear whispered, “What if this fails? What if you make the wrong decision?” When I shared my fears with Brad, he said we’d be diligent in seeking God’s direction, but what was I going to do about my fears?

How do I conquer my fears? What am I going to do about it? What’s my part?

Then Holy Spirit whispered, “Renew your mind.” He reminded me that I haven’t been given a spirit of fear, (2 Timothy 1:7). The Greek definition of “given” is “to give something to someone…to his advantage…give to one asking; give as a gift…something to be administered, such as property…to pay, wages or reward.” Are these fears to my advantage? Are they a gift? Are they something I’ve asked for? Are they payment for something I’ve done? Are they things I want to own?

NO!

Then it must be deduced that fear is NOT from God. So why accept fears? Why give them precious real estate in my mind?

“Do not be conformed to this world…but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God…[for you],” (Romans 12:2 AMPC). I need to choose to change, transform and renew, my ENTIRE mind, until it reflects that of Jesus. I have been given the mind of Christ and I am guided by His thoughts and purposes, (1 Corinthians 2:16). Therefore, I can choose to accept what fear says and allow it to consume my mind. Or, I can reject it through the daily renewal of my entire mind.

If, like me, you’ve allowed fear to take up precious real estate in your mind, it’s time to issue the eviction notice and change tenants. Exchange a spirit of fear for a Spirit of Power, Love, and a Sound Mind.

©Heather Potts 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment