Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Five Loaves and Two Fish Moments


How Great Thou Art ~ Hillsong UNITED (feat. Lauren Daigle)

“Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?” ~ John 6:9 NIV

Have you ever seen a need, but felt like all you had to offer was just a drop in the bucket? A dear friend of mine has been very sick for quite some time. If I still lived in Florida, it would be easier to help. But now that 1500 miles separate us, it’s a lot harder.

In John 6, Jesus asked his disciples how they were going to feed a crowd of 5,000 men. One disciple reported it would take eight months’ wages for all to get just a bite. Then another said a boy had five loaves and two fish, “but how far will they go among so many?” (v.7-9).

How far indeed? How many can five loaves and two fish feed? How far will my small gift reach? How much can one drop in a bucket fill? The better question is: With Jesus, is there any amount it can’t?

We read in John 6, that after giving thanks, Jesus told everyone to take as much food as they wanted. Then, after they’d all had their fill, there were 12 baskets of food leftover, (vv.11-13). God always takes our offering and multiplies it in His hands.

Though my gift was small, I decided to send it, anyway. However, shipping would take a week. But God had gone ahead of me and prepared a plan. He had me contact another local friend to pick it up and deliver it for me. Instead of my small order, my friend in need received double and then some! I cried tears of thankfulness and awe of what God had done!

The next time you see something that looks insurmountable, don’t look at your lack. Look, instead, at the possibilities when you place your small offering into the hands of your big God!
©Heather Potts 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment