Friday, November 12, 2021

How Did God Surprise You?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_2aX_i4qpM

All Things New ~ Big Daddy Weave


Then Moses and the people of Israel sang this song to the Lord, saying, 

“I will sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously; … “

~ Exodus 15:1 ESV


As a family, we usually share the best part of our day, but because another close friend’s loved one went to be with Jesus yesterday, we were having a hard time thinking of the “best thing.” Instead, it was, “How did God surprise you, today?” Savannah said she had many friends to play with at recess. Elizabeth said her friend told her lots of jokes. That began lots of laughter, with each of us sharing our corniest jokes. I might have won, because Brad just shook his head when I began my joke...


While I shared many of the cool things God did for me, yesterday, I kept the biggest close to my heart, in that moment. In the middle of the day, a friend found me to see how I was doing, in light of the sad news. She said to take a little break in her office and just hug her Bible. I found her Bible, but instead of hugging it, I opened it, feeling that God had something to say to me. Her Bible was bookmarked in Exodus. Chapter 15, verses 1-2 about leapt off the page.

Then Moses and the people of Israel sang this song to the Lord, saying, 

“I will sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously;

                              . . . 

The Lord is my strength and my song, 

    and he has become my salvation; 

this is my God, and I will praise him, 

    my father's God, and I will exalt him.

While this passage was not written from similar circumstances to mine, the message is still the same: God’s people know His great Name and sing of His triumph and victory! Because we have been crucified with Christ, we also share in His victory over death and the promise that we WILL see our friend, again, when we, also, go to be with Jesus. 


If you are hurting today, whether due to the loss of a loved one, or another burden, let your gaze settle on the Lord. Take in the fullness of who He is and His faithfulness. Then, let your praise rise to meet the Lord who is your strength and song. 

©Heather Potts 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment