Friday, February 25, 2022

Going on a Prayer Walk

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwijX74r7tk

What I See ~ Elevation Worship

 

Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfil the law of Christ. ~ Galatians 6:2 NIVUK

 

The other night, Elizabeth came out of her bedroom complaining that she couldn’t sleep. She’d been in bed for a while, so I gave her a task. I told her I wanted her to go on a prayer walk. I asked her if, in her mind, she could see the front office at school. When she said yes, I asked her to list the names of all the people in that office. I told her to pause at each doorway and pray for them. Then, one by one, I took her on a walk through the hallways of our school, listing off each classroom and office, and told her to stop in each doorway to pray for the teachers, aides, and staff in those rooms. After we’d made it through all elementary, and the Warrior’s Den, she looked at me and asked, “When am I supposed to do all of this? And what about middle school and high school?” I reminded her that she was going to do it in her mind. I also told her that once she started praying, I doubted that she’d be awake past 2nd grade, if she started with the kindergarten classrooms.

Prayer is a powerful weapon. While explaining the Armor of God, Paul says, “Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people,” (Ephesians 6:17-18). While the Bible doesn’t specifically speak to prayer-walking, Paul just instructed us to “always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.” What better way to do that than with a prayer walk? You and your friends could walk the halls of your office or school, if they let you. You can walk and pray over your neighborhood. You can even lay in bed at night and pray for your pastors, or over the patients and staff in the hospitals or nursing homes.

Prayer’s power isn’t subject to your geography, only your availability. If we are going to carry one another’s burdens—and many of them are heavy—then the best way to show love and complete this task is through prayer. Where will you take your prayers, today?

©Heather Potts 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment