Friday, February 4, 2022

Foxholes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR1Hk0FVi_k

Together ~ for KING & COUNTRY (feat. Kirk Franklin & Tori Kelly)

 

Two are better than one … ~ Ecclesiastes 4:9 NIVUK

 

When it comes to someone else’s foxhole, we tend to fall into three different categories. The first thinks, “How awful!” They may even yell down, “Praying for you!” But then they keep going. The second stops, calls down a prayer for the person in the foxhole, but then also moves on, praying again when they think about it. The third climbs down into the foxhole and remains till the “owner” vacates. I will confess, I have been all three types, and sadly, the second more often than the third. Climbing into someone else’s foxhole is hard, costly, and inconvenient.

 

When my first stepmom’s cancer got worse, my dad said people stopped “comin’ around.” He said it was if they thought it was “catchy.” He said the same was true after he and my mom divorced. As the kid, I can attest to that; I never saw some of my childhood friends, again. The adults didn’t want to “take sides,” and like I said, climbing into someone’s foxhole is hard, costly, and inconvenient.

 

Over the years, it’s cost others to step into our foxholes. It cost my aunt her time. It cost others their time, money, and even food, as one friend fasted for us—even during her vacation! In my post-COVID season, several people have jumped into my foxhole to pray for and encourage us. And thank God for them because I have been healing!

 

Maybe you’re in your own foxhole and it’s about all you can do to pray for God to help someone else. That’s OK. But if you’re able, and as Holy Spirit leads, consider climbing into someone else’s foxhole. Yes, it will cost you, but the return on your investment is exponential, both for the other person and for you.

 

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10,12 reminds us why we need each other:

Two are better than one …

if either of them falls down,
    one can help the other up. …

Though one may be overpowered,
    two can defend themselves.

We need each other! The cunning devil knows when we’re alone he can defeat us and God’s plans for our lives. But a friend and fellow believer will remind us that Christ is in our midst. “A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

 

If you have a need, I’d love to pray for and walk with you! And if you have been praying for me, thank you so much! Remember, we weren’t meant to walk alone. That’s why God gave us each other.

©Heather Potts 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment