Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Finisher

I will cry to God Most High, Who performs on my behalf and rewards me [Who brings to pass His purposes for me and surely completes them]! ~ Psalm 57:2 AMPC

I just love a good movie, don’t you? But, it’s the ending by which I judge the overall movie. Truly, it can have a slow beginning and a weird middle, but the ending is what seals it as “good” or “bad.” Ironically enough, I don’t rate my life by the same standards. What about you?

I have a brain for “the details,” which is good for work, our budget, or planning any event, but not very good for judging my life. Being a devotional writer (focusing on short, quick posts), I tend to forget the bigger picture. But if I’m going to run with perseverance, as Hebrews 12:1-2 encourage, then I also need to remember that Jesus is the “author and finisher” of my faith, and it’s upon Him that I’m to fix my eyes, not the details of the moment or the season. Psalm 57:2 and Hebrews 12:2 both declare that God is a finisher and completer of things in my life. And even when the unexpected, frustrating, or hurtful things happen, I need to remember that it’s not over yet, not by a longshot. Yes, maybe one of my dreams or desires needs to be put on-hold for a bit (a bit longer than I’d like), but that doesn’t mean it’s gone for good.

Father, forgive me for doubting Your faithfulness, for forgetting Your promise to complete in me the good work You began. Holy Spirit, keep me focused on how BIG my God is vs. the smallness of my circumstances. Thank you for the reminder that it’s not over yet, because it’s Jesus, not circumstances, who is the Finisher and Completer in my life. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

©Heather Potts 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment