Friday, May 3, 2019

Thank you, Teachers


Only Jesus ~ Casting Crowns

Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks], for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will]. ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:18 AMPC

With the school year ending, I began thinking about all the girls learned this year. Then my thoughts turned to my own teachers, of which there were many. From Mr. Holba, my fifth-grade teacher, to Mr. Knaus, my senior-year high school English teacher, to Dr. Lipscomb and Dr. Stein, my two favorite Lit professors at USF. Clearly, I had more than four teachers, but these are the ones who’ve stood out over the years. It wasn’t because of the zoo in Mr. Holba’s class, or even the fruit and vegetable nicknames Dr. Stein had us choose for ourselves, the way those who were revolting the Christian church did in the time-periods we studied. It’s not about their titles, or even necessarily the lessons they taught. They stand out above the rest because of how they made me feel: special, smart, strong, able, important. They all challenged me to be the best version of myself. But my teachers didn’t stop at the completion of my BA. Over the years, I’ve had countless teachers with many titles: Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle, Aunt, Husband, Teacher, Leader, Brother, Pastor, Mentor, and Friend.

Today marks the last day of Teacher Appreciation Week at our girls’ school. To all the teachers we’ve had over the years: THANK YOU! You have and are making a difference! On the days you feel like pulling out your hair, just remember: for the child, it won’t be about passing the test, becoming the greatest artist, or even singing on-key. Years down the road, it will be about the days you were there, the way you cared, the way you smiled and always had a hug. It’ll be the way you were Jesus to that child.

We’re told to give thanks in all things. To all our teachers: Thank you!
©Heather Potts 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment