Monday, November 23, 2009

that day

On my part, I would like to have warm, positive feelings toward him again, (Chapman, Gary, The Five Love Languages, 166).

I still remember the day I prayed that prayer. It was in October, on a Sunday, 2006. Our church was holding baptisms out at Coquina Beach. We were told that we could ask the Holy Spirit for anything we wanted and He would fill up that void in our lives. I knew instantly what I wanted. I hadn't been able to achieve it on my own.

I walked down the sandy shore and out among the waves to the pastor who would baptize me. He talked to me briefly about the baptism I was about to receive. Then he asked me the all important question: "If you could ask the Holy Spirit for just one thing, what would it be?" I knew right away and I cried when I said, "I want to love my husband again. I want to respect him and have a marriage that lasts." My pastor prayed for and with me and then he baptized me in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

When I came up out of the water, I knew that I was different...that my life would never be the same...all because of that day when I prayed.

2 comments:

  1. That was a week before our 2 yr anniversary. It took some work--a lot of work on both our parts. The year leading up to our 5 year anniversary (which we just celebrated) was our best ever. Some people say that they start with the honeymoon and then the honeymoon is over. I say we're buidling ours up better and better every year.

    ReplyDelete