Sunday, December 22, 2013

A New Song for Christmas

Have you ever heard a song before, but heard it for the first time as a message straight from God?  We were in church this morning, at our Christmas Eve service, and the band was singing “Little Drummer Boy”.  Having grown up in a Christian home, I’ve heard that song and even sung it year after year at Christmas time.  But this year, today, it was different.  Today it was as if I’d heard the lyrics for the first time.  The lyrics are, “I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum / I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum /… / Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum / Me and my drum.”  It was my own private, intimate message from my Father.  He said to me, “You don’t have to bring much.  Just bring yourself and bring your best.  When you do that, it makes me smile.”

Perhaps you’ve been feeling a little blue this Christmas season.  Maybe you’ve been looking around at all that you don’t have and can’t do for people due to a lack of funds.  But just like baby Jesus didn’t want from the little drummer boy things he didn’t have, Jesus doesn’t want that from us, either.  What He wants is for us to joyfully bring to Him what we do have.

I pray that today and in the days to come, you’ll remember that Christmas is not about presents, not about a tree, not about things you don’t have, but about what you do have.  And what we have is the love of a Savior and a chance to celebrate the victory that He has done in our lives.


Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment