Saturday, December 28, 2013

Are You Tired?

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” ~ Matthew 11:28 MSG

I heard a couple of my co-workers talking yesterday about how they hate Christians, because they are so fake and, “Have you been to their churches?  It’s so dull and boring and they look miserable.”  I was going to turn around and say something, but then they parted ways and I didn’t get a chance to speak up, but thought about their comments a long time. 

Today’s scripture reminded me of their conversation.  As a church, what are we saying to a hurting and worn out world when we, too, are hurting and worn out all the time?  How do we get refreshed?  From what Jesus is saying, it’s by keeping company with Him and through those times, we’ll learn how to live freely and lightly and well-rested.

Maybe the holidays, with all the hustle and bustle, have left you feeling worn out and tired.  How do you reenergize?  Where do you get the motivation to keep going?  Some will exercise and other will drink coffee or one of those energy drinks.  God wants us to turn to Him as our source of refreshing.  When we walk closely with Him, His energy seems to flow off of Him and cover over us.  If you are tired and weary today, I encourage you to spend intimate time with the Father and let His Words encourage and refresh you.


Father, thank you that you are always available to us when we need you.  Thank you that you don’t get burned out and you’ve never turned us away.  I pray that we would remember to stay close to your side, always abiding in the shelter of your wings, drawing from Your strength to carry us through.  Be with us today and always.  In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment