Monday, July 3, 2017

HOME

When Jesus returned to Capernaum several days later, the news spread quickly that he was back home. ~ Mark 2:1 NLT

We’re currently on vacation staying with my brother and his family. And although I had good intentions, being away has gotten me out of routine, which can more easily steal my peace. But Holy Spirit reminded me that the place is not my problem.

At church on Sunday, the pastor taught on Mark 2:1-11. He said Jesus, having been out beginning His ministry, had just returned home. In this passage, a paralytic was lowered through the roof to be healed by Jesus. Jesus healed him first emotionally and then physically. At that time, the man’s family, not strangers, should have cared for him. But likely due to his illness, his family left him to fend for himself. When Jesus called the man, “My child,” (v 5), as a parent would call a son or daughter, Jesus gave the man a home, a place of belonging.

Home is a place of:
·   Healing. When you’re not feeling like yourself, you want to be in your space with its comforting feels and smells.
·   Oneness. While away, it’s easy to get distracted by others’ routines and mannerisms. Though there’s nothing wrong with them, you run the risk of losing the one-mindedness of your family unit. Home allows you to reconnect and realign your thinking.
·   Meditation. The reason people often “need a vacation from their vacation” is because they fail to slow down, take a deep breath, and keep their peace.
·   Escape. We can all feel that we need to “get away” to escape life’s demands. But home is meant to be a place of escape, a refuge from craziness and storms.
I realized on Sunday, that I’ve been struggling to feel “at home.” But Holy Spirit reminded me that it’s not about a street address. No matter where I am, my home is in Him.

Regardless of what’s going on in your life and where God has you. Remember that He always has you and that your home is found in Him.

©Heather Potts 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment