Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Are You Buckled?


What If His People Prayed ~ Casting Crowns

if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 NIV

https://bible.com/bible/111/2ch.7.14.NIV

Confession: Parking in the garage makes me nervous. I love having my car in the garage, but not having to park it in there. It’s because of the angle from which I have to approach our garage in a full parking lot. Each time, I make sure my seatbelt is buckled. You may laugh, but it's true! I feel safer and more confident with my seatbelt on, than without it. And as I laughed at myself, I heard Holy Spirit whisper, "Just like prayer."

As I thought about today’s song, the verse from 2 Chronicles, and even my quirky need to buckle up when parking my car, I am surprised at myself for the days I’m scrambling to get us "ready" and out the door on time, but don't make time to pray, listen, and learn. Have you ever done that? Have you been rushing to get everything done or out of the house on time, and didn't carve out time to put on the armor of God, ask Him to order your steps, or pray for His protection over your family? 

I keep coming back to 2 Kings 6:10, when Elisha warned the king of Israel “time and again” about where the enemy was, and because the king listened, he was able to avoid destruction. What if God has an important message for us, but if we don't humble ourselves and pray and seek His face time and again, we might miss it. 

Father forgive me for the times I forget to buckle Your Truth around my waist, when I’m overly task-driven, like Martha, and for letting busyness rule my day. Lord, help me to slow down and make time to get away with You, so You'll have an opportunity to share things with me, time and again. In Jesus Name I pray, amen. 
©Heather Potts 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment