Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Her Song


Cast My Cares ~ Kids Praise 5: Psalty’s Camping Adventure

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” ~ Matthew 11:28 NIV

One day, around the time Savannah no longer took naps, I was having a hard time putting Elizabeth down for her nap. Then the idea came to sing her to sleep. And what better to lull her to sleep than with Elvis Presley’s, "Can't Help Falling in Love." It didn't work. But that became the song we sang to Elizabeth every night and naptime. Sometime later, Savannah heard me singing it to Elizabeth and requested her own song. "Cast My Cares" was what came to mind. 

When my brother and I were little, long before Veggie Tales, Kids Praise, with Psalty the Singing Songbook, were the popular kids’ Christian movies. One of which was a camping adventure, in which two kids got lost. Instead of panicking, the younger said to the older that she learned in Sunday School to cast all her cares on the Lord, because He cares for us. And then she sang the song.

This song has been very instrumental in helping us guide Savannah through many trials, from bad dreams, to missing loved ones, to struggles with wearing pants. But this isn't just a cute kid's song. It's an anthem for all of us: I cast all my cares upon You. I lay all of my burdens down at Your feet. And anytime I don't know what to do, I will cast all my cares upon You.

When we’re going through trials, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. But when we go to God, casting all our cares upon Him, it’s amazing how He brings our hearts to peace, even before our circumstances change. Whatever concern, hurt, or hardship you are facing right now, you don’t have to carry it another minute. Instead, cast it all on the Lord, because He cares for you. 
©Heather Potts 2019

Can't Help Falling in Love ~ Elvis Presley 

No comments:

Post a Comment