Monday, December 16, 2019

My Expectation


The Prayer ~ Danny Gokey & Natalie Grant

Truly my soul silently waits for God; From Him comes my salvation…My soul, wait silently for God alone, For my expectation is from Him. ~ Psalms 62:1, 5 NKJV

It wasn't on the bookshelf or on the dresser. Disappointment set in when I couldn't find my camera, which I wanted for the girls' Christmas concert. Our phones, for all their "smartness," can't see anything but the glare of stage lights.

"Skating with Santa" had been on the calendar for weeks. Hours before, however, I realized Brad wasn't coming with us. Though it wasn't his fault, I was disappointed when, due to an allergic reaction, Brad needed to stay home.

Have you ever felt disappointed? Sure, you have; it's part of human nature. Disappointment occurs when expectations aren't met. I expected to find my camera and for the four of us to go skating, together. When those things didn't happen, I had unmet expectations. In the grand scheme, these are little things, but, when not addressed, they can become huge problems.

Psalm 62:1 shares the trusting and restful condition of my soul, while Psalm 62:5 is a statement to my soul, to rest and wait on the Lord. With the Christmas season in full swing, what is the condition of your soul? Are you full of trust, rest, and peace, or are you in need of a good measure? If you're in need, you're not alone. Many of us get caught up in expectations, typically regarding others, and are disappointed because we looked to the wrong things.

It's time to shift our focus. We can't expect people and things to fill us. Instead, we must place our expectations on Jesus and focus on the wonderful, beautiful miracle we celebrate this time, each year. When our expectations are in and from Him, they'll never be unmet.
©Heather Potts 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment