Saturday, June 12, 2021

Cling to Your Life Preserver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KRRCQ9bcAc

Made to Fly ~ Colton Dixon


“Do not let your heart be troubled (afraid, cowardly). Believe [confidently] in God and trust in Him, [have faith, hold on to it, rely on it, keep going and] believe also in Me.” ~ John 14:1 AMP


Have you ever been in one of those seasons where wave after wave attacking you caused you to turn your gaze from Jesus, and inevitably, your grip, as well? And when that happened, the next wave made you believe you were going to drown. I’ll confess that happened to me.


Our summer break hasn’t started as relaxing as I would have liked. Within the first two weeks we needed a major fix on both vehicles, and then my back locked up while we were camping. Then, just after God brought us through that (including healing my back--Praise God!), the girls got burned. At first we assumed it was a sunburn, but 48 hours later, it appeared more like a chemical burn, causing me to feel completely helpless and overwhelmed. Thankfully, after getting some outside help, it’s calmed down a lot and is almost gone. Honestly, though, the attack on the girls scared me. I felt helpless when I didn’t know how to “make it better”. By the end of the day, yesterday, I realized just how drained I was and how cranky I was acting towards others.


Fortunately, God wasn’t bothered by my crankiness, and led me to John 14:1. After just glancing at the words, I realized that I’d let trouble into my heart, but it was time for it to go!


When going boating, you put on a life preserver, because if the unexpected ever happened, you’d be prepared. Ephesians 6:13-15 tells us to put on our spiritual armor, because we’re in a spiritual battle. Though the breastplate of righteousness and shield of faith sound like they’d drag you to the bottom, they become the straps, binding you to Jesus, your Life Preserver. The next time you’re being beaten by a churning sea, don’t let go of your Life Preserver to try to swim to shore faster. Instead, lean into it, letting the Lord use the waves to push you to shore, as you keep clinging to your Life Preserver, never shifting your gaze or releasing your grip.

©Heather Potts 2021

1 comment: