Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Strangers in the World

Ever been some place new? What was the first thing you did? Did you get lost? Did you get lost a lot? Usually when I'm some place new, first I get lost, then I ask for directions, then I write it down or I get a map, or both. The building I work in is an entire city block long. On each floor, there are two kitchenettes and two sets of bathrooms. When I first started, it took me a good month to remember where I put my lunch. I remember how big and confusing everything was during my first weeks. Now my job is like clockwork. I don't even really need to think about the tasks that I need to do, I just do them. The same with finding my lunch or my desk, I just know where to look. The more time that passes, the more comfortable I am with my surroundings, and how I need to work in my surroundings. I think the opposite is true once we have given our lives to Christ.

I was reading 1 Peter and the opening sentence reads, "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To God's elect, strangers in the world," (1:1). That last part made me think a little bit. Peter said that God's elect are strangers in the world... in this world. I'm 29 years old. I've lived in this part of Florida for the past 9 1/2 years. I'd like to say that I'm pretty comfortable with my surroundings, and that I can pretty much find my way around. But, as God's elect, the more we walk with Christ, this world and everything in it should become foreign or alien to us.

There are a lot of places I've never been. If I went to Kansas, I'd consider myself a stranger there. I don't really know the unique laws there, or any city customs or celebrations. I would probably stand out as someone not "of" that area. There are many things that I love about living in Florida. One of my favorite things is that you can always tell immediately who does not live in Florida the majority of the time...we call them "Snow Birds" or "vacationers." They stand out really well, because they are the ones who think sunny and 45 degrees makes for a perfect beach day. I'm from Wisconsin, and I still don't think that 45 degrees makes for good beach weather.

From God's point of view, we're strangers, visitors, aliens in this world. We don't belong here and our spirits are not "of" this world, even though we must live in it. Even though I live in Florida, I'll always be from Wisconsin and Oshkosh will always be my hometown. However, my heart's desire and my future outlook is heaven bound. A question to ask yourself, to ponder: are you a stranger in this world or in the next?

No comments:

Post a Comment