Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Though it Linger

Habakkuk's Complaint:
How long, O Lord, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, "Violence!" but you do not save? ... Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds...(Habakkuk 1:2-3)

The Lord's Answer:
Look at the nations and watch--and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told...(Hab 1:5)

Habakkuk's Second Complaint:
O Lord, are you not from everlasting? ... Why are you silent...(Hab 1:12,13)

The Lord's Answer:
The revelation awaits an appointed time...though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay...(Hab 2:3)

We all complain and cry out to the Lord. We demand answers! My way and my timing, is what we tell the Lord. The Lord does not rebuke, but gently reminds us that it will come, for certain, but in His way and His timing, not our own. The Book of Habakkuk began with two complaints and ends with this prayer: Lord, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O Lord. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known, (Hab 3:2).

Today, I make that my prayer:
Lord, I stand in awe of you. All that you have done, the beauty you have laid before me, the miracles I have seen in my life and the lives of those whom I know, it takes my breath away. Lord, forgive me for standing at your throne, as if it were a drive-thru window, demanding my way in 30 seconds or less. Father, you have given me a revelation and a time--your time. You said, "though it linger, wait for it." Lord, I have been talking these last few days, about the challenges that waiting present: doubt, fear, anxiety. I know those feelings are not from You, but You have given me the opportunity to overcome them, by drawing closer to You. As I sat on the couch a few hours ago, fear and doubt just beyond the edge of my thoughts, I thought about the story of the woman who was swimming in the fog and had she known, if she could have seen, that the shore was just a few more feet, yards, whatever, up ahead, she would not have given up. Lord, I do not want my story--Your story--to be that I came so close and let fear and doubt overwhelm me. Lord, I want you to get all the glory and all the fame. Father, I am within a short distance of victory, adorned to the world as full healing. Lord, I'm going to run into your arms of victory and lift You high, for all the world to see. Thank you, Father, that you have been my strength and you have sustained me. I love you, Lord. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment