Saturday, July 17, 2010

More Precious than Gold

Now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold...may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Christ Jesus ~ 1 Peter 1:6-7

When I was getting ready to start college, my parents came to me and said they didn't have enough money to pay for my schooling. But my mom taught me the ins & outs of financial aid and where and how to apply. They had been preparing me for this, so I didn't fret or ask, "why me," I just did what was necessary. I remember my grandpa telling me that I shouldn't take out any student loans if I didn't have to, so I worked hard and my sophomore year, I didn't need any loans. When I moved to Florida to continue my schooling, I needed to take out loans the first year. After that, God told me that I wasn't allowed to take out any more loans for school.

For the next couple semesters, it was fine, the money seemed always readily available. But, in my last couple semesters, money was tight and there weren't enough scholarships to cover all the costs. But God never let me down. I never had to withdraw from a semester due to lack of funds or supplies. Instead of rolling in money, things became creative. We cashed in savings bonds, borrowed books from friends, checked out books from the library. One semester, I had to go to school full time (while working full time) just to qualify for enough financial aid to pay for the classes I needed. Even though the answers were fleeting, the way was unsure, and the work was hard, God got me through it all.

I look back and know that the day God told me I wasn't allowed to take out any more loans was just another way He was grooming me, drawing me closer to Him, stretching my faith, and purifying my life. God is grooming me for greatness. He started in something small and provided large. He drew back a little to see if I would continue to be faithful to what He had commanded me. When I was, the reward was great! I have since graduated and am in a lot less debt than I could have been. And because I trusted Him in those things, He is blessing me with others.

How is God growing and stretching and purifying you and your faith? God's never let me down and He's never let me go. Though the way isn't always sure, we can be certain that He's always got us in His full view.

No comments:

Post a Comment