Sunday, July 11, 2010

Security

In Genesis 12, when God told Abram to leave everything he knew to go to a place that the Lord would show him, God was asking Abram to "leave his security," (Word for You Today 10 July 2010). I wonder if it was a little bit more than that. What if God wasn't asking Abram to "leave" his security, but to "rethink" or "re-examine" what or whom he made his security? In the Psalms, David was talking about security when he said, "Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust, (40:4). The phrase "his trust" is from the Hebrew word "mibatch," meaning "object of confidence, security," (blueletterbible.org).

If we have our security, our confidence, our trust in earthly things, we're certain to be disappointed, for all earthly things will eventually fail us. Only God, who is eternal, will never let us down, because He is never changing and will always love us. And sometimes, when we put all our confidence or trust or security in things that are not Him, God will ask us to make a change, take a new job, go away from what is familiar so that we will have no other sense of security, but that which we have in Him.

"Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust." Making the Lord my trust should be so easy, because He's never failed me, never left me, never betrayed me. Why, then, do I keep putting my trust, my security in things I see with my human eyes? Lord, forgive me for continually putting my trust into things that are perishing, for taking my eyes off of You, Jesus. Help me to remember, to know, to believe that you are the only One I need.

If God is for us, who can be against us? ...For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. ~ Romans 8:31, 38-39

No comments:

Post a Comment