Friday, June 18, 2010

More than Conquerors

There's a song they play on the JoyFM that sings, "She just didn't believe it could happen to me. I guess we're all one phone call from our knees," (Mat Kearney, Closer to Love). The song is about how things happen in life, but somehow they draw us closer to Love. It's when we're desperate, that we cry out to Jesus. Hopefully, we're crying out to Him anyway, but sometimes, that's what it takes. That song was in my head when I woke up this morning, after a long night last night, when we got one of those calls. And while we know that, "in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose," you never want to get one of those calls, (Romans 8:28).

But the call did come. And what did we do? We prayed, we comforted, and we reached out to those special and dear--those God placed in our lives--for help, support, and encouragement. Romans 8:28-39 was written for times like these, because it was written in reflection of times like these. When Paul was going through the worst of it, he didn't feel strong either, so he turned to his best friend--Jesus--for strength, and then he wrote these words to be an encouragement to people everywhere, thousands of years later.

My favorite verse in all of Romans 8 is verse 37, which reads, "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us." The Bible says we are more than conquerors--we have surpassed even the greatest victory, it's bigger than that biggest ticker-tape parade for heroes--that's who we are in Christ Jesus. I love this verse because it reminds me that I don't have to depend upon my own strength, my own thoughts, my own knowledge, my own wisdom, my own anything to get me through. God knows we are nothing more than dust, that on its own will be blown about in the wind. No, it is through Christ's power and Christ's strength and Christ's might that we have the ability, the power, and the strength to get through this situation and still conqueror the next one.

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for Your words, which still give strength, encouragement, and wisdom, even some two thousand years after they were written. Thank you Lord, for hearing our prayers in our greatest hours of need. And Lord, thank you for sending us sweet friends to stand beside us and walk with us, because you never intended us to live this life alone. Lord, I pray that if anyone reads this and they are feeling all alone, that they would cry out to You and You would send them friends to give comfort and love and support, and to walk this life with them. In Jesus' Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment