Friday, January 28, 2011

It's Personal

Have you ever heard someone say, "God will meet you where you're at,"? But what does that mean? It took me a while to figure that out. I've heard many pastors and leaders say that when I spent time with God, I was supposed to be very still, not moving or thinking at all. They all had good reason; they said it was because in 1 Kings, the voice of God was not in the wind, the fire or the earthquake, but in the gentle whisper, (vv. 11-12).

I understood that, but I still struggled, until my good friend said that God talked to her in the way that she would hear Him and she believed He'd do the same for me. She said sometimes we do have to be still to hear Him, but she said that God still spoke to her when she was driving down the interstate with her radio on and kids in the backseat. Why? Because God met her where she was, where she was in her walk and where she was in her life.

I don't know about you, but I actually have conversations with God and until yesterday, I thought I was the only one who talked with God like that. But then I was reading Psalms 15 and 16 and David was speaking to God, and then about God, but I think the words he was saying--the wisdom that had been written down after his questions to God--were actually the words that God had spoken to him, or had impressed upon his heart and David was just the one who got to write it down. In Psalm 15:1 David asks, "Lord, who may dwell in your sanctuary? Who may live on your holy hill?" I really wonder if the next four verses were God's answer to David's question.

The point isn't how God talks to us, but to know that He is talking to us and He longs to spend time with us, just as David spent time talking to God and asking Him questions, God wants to talk back and answer our questions. If how you've been listening to and for God isn't working, try something different and see what happens.

I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. ~ Psalm 16:7

No comments:

Post a Comment