Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Refresh Me

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. ~ Psalm 51:10

I'm always amazed at how well my God knows me! Whether He's talking to me through His Word, or whispering to my heart, my God knows me. He knows me so well, in fact, that He knows what I need to hear before I even realize that it was a need. My mom knows the inflictions in my voice. My husband knows my facial expressions and body language. My best friend knows a lot of my secrets, my moods, and what cheers me up almost instantly. But my God knows more.

In this scripture, David is asking God to purify him, to cleanse him, and to refresh and recharge within him a spirit that is ever seeking after God and God's desires. If you attend Bayside Community Church, you know that we are in a time of prayer and fasting. The devotional, that they've made available, has been walking us through these days. Yesterday's devotional spoke specifically on cleaning house. I knew, physically, that fasting purges the toxins that have been stored in your body. I was reminded that it does the same thing spiritually. The devotional said, "The different temptations, pressures, and cares of this world can build up quietly and end up consuming our lives. Without even realizing it, we can lose our peace, joy, and passion for the things of God," (Awake21.org, Day 9).

People don't turn to drugs and alcohol, fall into depression, quit jobs, quit relationships, etc. over one minor thing. But the build up of many minor things eventually cause people to snap. Unless they can find a release. In essence, through a time of fasting and prayer, we are bringing the hidden things out from the nooks and crannies in our lives and bringing them before God so He can help to cleanse us, restore us, and revitalize us.

David's prayer was that God renew him, restore him, and refresh him. Let that be our prayer, too.

Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. ~ Psalm 51:12

No comments:

Post a Comment