Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Knowing Jesus

Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is epileptic and suffers severely... So I brought him to Your disciples, but they could not cure him. ~ Matthew 17:15-16

This morning's devotional talks about humility, that prayer and seeking after Jesus is a "posture of humility," (Day 17, Awake21.org). I was thinking about what that means. It means trust, and trust is both the result of love and the process for love. When I was 26, I was healed of a disease that I'd suffered with for at least ten years; it was a disease that all the doctors said could not be cured, but could be "treated." My body went through every kind of treatment option that they had. Now I grew up in the church and I had Jesus in my heart since I was a little girl, but I never thought to ask Him to heal me. Growing up, I knew that Jesus loved me and that He died for my sins, but I didn't really know what that meant. I knew that He listened to my prayers, but I did not "know" He answered them. I don't think I started to "know" anything until I spent time, on my own, getting to "know" Jesus.

On the day that I was healed, I wasn't praying for healing for me, but for my grandma, from her cancer. My friend, who'd prayed with me for my grandma said that that we'd received a healing from God--everyone in that room. And I believed it, and claimed it, and walked in it, and was healed because I trusted Jesus. Like the man with his epileptic son, I'd sought others for a cure, but only Jesus could heal me.

Other people will let us down. Our parents will disappoint us, our friends will say hurtful things to us. Sometimes we will become disheartened, at other times, we'll lose our trust in them. But one person you can be sure to always have faith in, always believe, and always trust is Jesus Christ. He is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. As you seek more of Jesus, you'll come to trust more of Jesus and you'll understand--you'll know--more of the love of Jesus.

Everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. ~ Matthew 7:8

No comments:

Post a Comment