Monday, December 25, 2017

Broken Plans

When Hope Came Down ~ Kari Jobe

The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps. ~ Proverbs 16:9 NASB

The YMCA pool schedule showed that the indoor waterslide would be open Saturday night. Our girls love the waterslide! After dinner, we'd take the girls to the pool and invite someone to meet us there. It was all settled. But by the time we'd arrived at the Y, things weren't working out as planned. One person wasn't feeling like swimming and another didn't bring their swimsuit. My perfect plan was falling apart. How can we make this all come together?

And then I saw it: a sign. Many people ask for a sign from God. He sent me a 4'x3' easel that said "Family Night. Members Free." As the others in our group discussed what fun and low-cost things we could do, I asked the lady at check-in what activities at Family Night would be age-appropriate for my girls. Of the things she listed, ice skating and bounce house grabbed my attention. I proposed my idea to our group and we decided to go ice skating and then head to the bounce house. We had a FANTASTIC TIME!  I'm not sure who had the most fun. There were 10-gallon buckets to support the weight of the little kids. They were too short for Savannah, who opted to cling to the wall, but Elizabeth was a speed-racer with those buckets. I surprised myself by, not only remaining on my feet but also, really enjoying myself. We had the greatest time! We even got to ice skate and have our picture taken with Santa.

Later at home, I realized that even when my plans fail, God never does. And just maybe He allowed my plans to falter because His plans are far better than what I could have imagined. It's not that God is hiding something from me. Rather, He's teaching me to trust Him, and His plans, regardless of the circumstances. I did, however, appreciate and find the humor in how He used our pastor's message at Christmas Eve service to reiterate His point. 

Today, as we celebrate Christmas, regardless of the plans we've made, don't let the burned rolls, under-cooked pies, or even the fact that the kids are more interested in the boxes than the expensive toys get you down or flustered. Instead, remember to take it all in and enjoy the moments you have with those who are near and dear.

MERRY CHRISTMAS! 


©Heather Potts 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment