Friday, December 22, 2017

Count It All Joy

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds ~ James 1:2 ESV

Yesterday, after my workout, when my brain was clear, Holy Spirit whispered, “Count it all joy.” Immediately, I remembered my pregnancy with Elizabeth. I was very sick at the beginning of my 1st trimester, so much so, that I ended up in the hospital and it was a whirlwind of crazy and scary events. Even when I returned home, everything was an upside-down mess. I remember my dear friend called me and said, “Joy is a choice.” She told me the story of when her mom had been pregnant with her and some awful things were going on in her mom’s life. But one day, she decided to finish her pregnancy with joy. My friend told me that every day, her mom had to choose joy, but she did and when my friend was born, her name was going to be Joy. It ended up being something else, but that’s another story. My friend’s story impacted me so much, that not only did I choose joy for the remainder of my pregnancy, we named our daughter Elizabeth Joy.

After digging into James 1:2, I discovered that “Count it” is also translated “Consider,” whose definition is to “reflect on,” and I laughed! I LOVE how God knows me so well. He grabbed my attention with “joy,” but then brought it around full circle, calling me to reflect.

What’s going on in your life? As the year closes and a new beginning is on the horizon, what things can you choose to count as and walk through with joy? Choosing joy doesn’t necessarily change things, but it can make a long, hard road easier. And you never know, you just might begin to enjoy life.

©Heather Potts 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment