Monday, December 18, 2017

Reflect pt 2

You have given me your shield of victory; your help has made me great. ~ 2 Samuel 22:36 NLT

As this year draws closer to an end, I’m also reflecting on the promise God gave me just before Thanksgiving, in 2 Samuel 22:36. As I mulled over those words, I remembered a teaching by Judah Smith about Genesis 15:1-6. In Genesis 15:1, God said to Abram, “I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward,” (NKJV). After researching the link between the two scriptures, I discovered shield means defense, covering, and protection. At the time I wondered, What do I need protection from or a defense against? But God also said He was my victory, His help made me great, and He was my exceedingly great reward.

I’d like to say that when God told us to move, we strapped on our faith, moved, and have done nothing but smile ever since. But then I’d be lying. I’ve actually been whining a lot. WHY has come out of my mouth so much, I’m afraid God will offer me some cheese to go with my whining, but since I’m in the dairy state, it all works. But it reminded me of Judah Smith’s message, because that’s exactly what Abram did. After God told Abram that He was Abram’s great reward, Abram whined that he didn’t have an heir, and if God could come look at his circumstances, He’d see the truth.

Isn’t it funny how we all get like that. God brings us through the craziest circumstances, using the greatest miracles, but we get knocked off guard and all we can say to God is, “Look! Look at my circumstances.” But God, in His infinite wisdom and mercy, pulls us out of our tents (out of our small perspectives), aims us heavenward, and says, “Look now,” (Genesis 15:5).

Today, we got knocked down pretty hard; it really shook us. But in my tiny perspective, surrounded by my woes, God called to me. He aimed me heavenward, opened my ears, and spoke to my heart. He reminded me there is nothing that I have that He needs, because He owns it all, and sent His Son to share it all with me, His beloved daughter.

What need do you have? What circumstances are sucking up all your energy, drawing your perspective to a small focal point? As this year draws to a close, open your heart and mind to your Father. He longs to point you heavenward, saying, “Look now,” at all He has and wants to give to you, His beloved child.

©Heather Potts 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment