Thursday, December 13, 2018

Yes, You Can!


Invincible ~ Skillet

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us ~ Hebrews 12:1 NIV

In recent months, my brother has been sharing his workouts on Facebook. On one hand, you might be annoyed by someone who posts every time they workout, while you do it without the glory. But on the other hand, you might find some inspiration. When you look closely at his pictures, you see that he’s surrounded by others who are just as sweaty--be it basketball or spin class. 

A few years ago, when I started running, Brad went with me, but he couldn't continue, and I had to decide if I was going to do it on my own. What I discovered was that I wasn’t alone. Hebrews 12 says, "We are SURROUNDED by a great cloud of witnesses." The witnesses are those who have gone before us, who've walked where we're walking, and who are cheering us on, from the very first trial all the way through to triumph! 

During my runs, there were many times I didn't think I could make one more step, certainly not another block. But it was in those times Holy Spirit said, "Yes, you can! Don't quit! Don't quit! Don't quit!" Each time I pushed through, I was so proud of myself for not quitting, because each time I went further than I thought I could. 

Today, I am not prepping for a run. Two months of migraines and vertigo really takes a toll. But even in the simplistic work out, even with a pinched nerve in my neck, I don't want to quit. I refuse to back down. And this is what we've been training for, a won't-back-down attitude. 

Since moving to Wisconsin 16 months ago, we've faced more disappointment, heartache, and trials than I care to recount. But God has also surrounded us. Every day, I am truly amazed and in awe of all God has done for us, brought us through, blessed us with, and the "won't-quit-won't-back-down" attitude He's built up within us.

I think it was John Bevere who said this season is the training ground for the next. Whatever hardship you may be walking through, today, remember, you're not alone. Listen as Holy Spirit encourages you, especially on the hard days, "Yes you can! Now, don't quit!" 
©Heather Potts 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment