Thursday, December 31, 2020

Today's Bread

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xvCY0_vaDA

When I Lock Eyes with You ~ UPPERROOM and Maverick City Music

 

Jesus replied to them, “I am the Bread of Life. The one who comes to Me will never be hungry, and the one who believes in Me [as Savior] will never be thirsty [for that one will be sustained spiritually]. ~ John 6:35 AMP

 

If you’ve ever fasted, then you know how something as simple as bread can look like a gourmet meal. About 12 years ago, I asked God for something big, so He asked me to give up something big: not eat after 5pm for the next 21 days. The first week, I was SO hungry! By the second week, however, I realized that to “make it through the night,” I needed to eat my carbs by lunch and only eat protein in the afternoon. By the third week, the only thing I was “worried” about was keeping up the intense feasting on God’s Word, when I returned to eating dinners. Unfortunately, by week 2 post fast, my routine returned to “normal,” as did my studies.

 

This year has been a lot like that fast. When we heard the news that we weren’t going back to life and school “as normal,” it was hard on all of us. That’s when I started digging deeper into God’s Word. But when our schedules relaxed for the summer, so did my studies. It was sometime later that Holy Spirit grabbed my attention, saying, “You can’t live on yesterday’s Bread.” Just as yesterday’s or last week’s physical food won’t sustain you very long, neither will yesterday’s or last week’s spiritual food.

 

Everyday, the devil is watching and waiting for us to be weak enough to use for his advantages. When he sees we’re physically—and especially spiritually—weaker, he’ll pounce and try to devour us. As children of the living God, we’re called to be alert and withstand the devil’s schemes. That’s much easier to do when we’re physically and spiritually strong.

 

As we exit 2020, let’s take with us the truths we’ve received and leave the rest behind. For the new year, plan, each day, to feast on the Bread that gives and sustains life, to help us face whatever challenges may lie ahead.

©Heather Potts 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment