Monday, July 19, 2021

Most Essential Need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLBvCTV23qw

Nothing Else ~ Cody Carnes


Glory in His holy name; 

Let the hearts of those who seek and require the Lord [as their most essential need] rejoice. 

~ Psalm 105:3 AMP


Have you ever noticed that when you’re trying to pray or have quiet time with God, it doesn’t take any effort for you to get distracted? That happens to me more often than I’d like to admit (even to myself). When you confess those times to God and ask for His help, He is faithful to help.


Yesterday morning, at church, we heard from some missionaries our church supports. Though we often hear from missionaries, yesterday’s story hit me differently. The missionaries told a story about someone who’d been walking around in darkness and was so desperate for the Light that, once exposed to it, this person asked, “Where can I get my hands on a Bible?”


Like many people, I have access to multiple versions and copies of the Bible, but sadly, my greatest times of hunger and thirst for God’s Word (with only a handful of exceptions) have been either during a fast, during a very hard time, or when I am seeking a specific answer. Yet this person’s desperate need and desire was for God’s Holy Word. I prayed in that moment, confessing the times I’ve let emails, the budget, the dishes, the laundry, TV, social media, even the hamster distract me from God’s Word and His presence. I prayed and asked God to give me a hunger and thirst for Him, again. Not for the purpose of blessings, or filling my needs, but just to know Him better. Just an opportunity to be with Him.


If this resonates with you, then my prayer is that you’d cast aside the distractions - taking thoughts captive is a huge help - and seek the Lord as your most essential need.


Seek and deeply long for the Lord and His strength [His power, His might];

Seek and deeply long for His face and His presence continually. ~ Psalm 105:4 AMP

©Heather Potts 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment