Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Quickened by Jesus

What am I supposed to do once she’s gone?


It hurt my heart when Savannah asked that of her friend whose family is moving away next week. This will be the second significant loss of a friend within her lifetime. Four years ago, at the end of this month, we moved from Florida to Wisconsin, leaving many friends behind. Now, one of Savannah’s closest friends is moving away. What do you say?


I’m grateful Savannah easily accepted my help last night, because it was only two days ago that she was sobbing. Just like Savannah, I believe we’ve all asked the question, “What am I supposed to do now?” as our lives change. Change is hard enough when it’s something we want or choose, but when it’s happening to us, not of our choosing… It can be so hard.


If I had not found encouragement in your law, I would have died in my sorrow. ~ Psalm 119:92 NET


Psalm 119:92 is an expression of deep gratitude, the kind that is born out of a trial and a close-knit relationship with Jesus. Based on the surrounding text, the author wrote it while still in the midst of a trial, and not after it. Have you ever felt pain so piercing, you truly believed your heart would shatter if one more thing bumped into it? How do you survive that? Not by isolating or trying to fix it on your own, but by running to the One who can heal and help you. 


I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me. ~ Psalm 119:93 KJV


“Thou hast quickened me.” Though written in Early Modern English,  it captures the beauty and sentiment expressed by the psalmist. Just as a broken heart is not given a bandaid, a life in distress needs a quickening spirit, found only in Jesus, (1 Corinthians 15:45). The quickening, referred to in Psalm 119, is a reviving “from discouragement of the spirit; from faintness; from death,” (blueletterbible.org). In the middle of a trial, life can feel like it’s getting harder before it gets better. Part of that may be the dross dripping off as Jesus watches closeby, waiting for the precise moment that He’ll pull you out, as pure gold.


I pray that when life gets hard, we will have the same close-knit relationship with Jesus as this psalmist, whose life and spirit were revived and brought to life out of a pit of deep sorrow.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhoEktYO5w8 ~ Rest, Kari Jobe

©Heather Potts 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment