Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Upheld by Promise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9s7GogPKCg

He Is ~ Crowder


Uphold me according to Your word [of promise], so that I may live;

And do not let me be ashamed of my hope [in Your great goodness]. ~ Psalm 119:116 AMP


We are fortunate enough to live near a pool, especially since this summer has been so hot. One day when we were at the pool, one of the girls noticed that the previous night’s storm had knocked over the foam life preserver ring. She effortlessly put it back on its hook and asked how it could possibly save someone’s life. 


The ring looked like it had baked out at that pool for many years. But nevertheless, understanding the science behind it, or not, foam floats in water. Will the ring, itself, get the person out of the water? Will it reverse time, eliminating the event that caused the person the need of the life preserver in the first place? Will it erase all of life’s stresses? The answer, of course, is no. But what it will do is keep the person’s head above water till he/she can regain enough strength to get to safety, or until the person throwing the ring can pull the other to safety.


How interesting that we often cry out to God, saying, “Save me!” To which He says, “I have.” We mean: get me out of this mess, out of these waves, out of the water. Put my feet on solid, secure ground, so that I would never again feel pain. God means, “Listen to My Words.”


Are you tired? Worn out? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me...watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly. ~ Matthew 11:28-30 MSG


Draw near to God and He will draw near to you...Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. ~ James 4:8, 10 NKJV


The Lord is close to the brokenhearted. He saves those whose spirits have been crushed. ~ Psalm 34:18 ICB


Sometimes, we think of God’s “nearness” as the opposite of far from us. But “nearness” is about perspective. When we see God as being near or close by, He becomes someone who is approachable; someone we can confide in and lean on, like a best friend. The closer we draw to God and the more we lean on Him, the more His promises become like a life preserver. He doesn’t promise to lift us out of our circumstances. But His promises will keep us from drowning, as we lean into them. When we rest upon God’s promises for us, we’ll regain our strength, till we’re able to fight again.


Whatever you’re facing today, stop thrashing in the water, mad at God for allowing these circumstances to be thrust upon you. Instead, draw near to your Friend. Lean on His promises till you regain strength. Then, stand on them, equipped to face the giants and battles that come your way!

©Heather Potts 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment