Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Wherever-Whenever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UUZXgKo7ic

Dancing on the Waves ~ We the Kingdom


The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. ~ Deuteronomy 31:8 NIV


While some days feel great, others feel more like this:  

How NOT to have Quality Time with God in 5 Easy Steps

  1. Wake up late

    1. Rushing definitely helps clutter and rattle the mind!

  2. Get distracted

    1. Pulling out the grocery or to-do list will help distract you.

  3. Keep your Smartphone handy

    1. Interrupting texts, emails, and updates will get you off-course in no time flat!

  4. Fuss at yourself

    1. Self-condemnation fills the mind with so many loathsome thoughts, there’s no possible way to concentrate.

  5. Quit

    1. Give up and go on with your life. Who needs quality time with God, anyway?


While this is a little tongue-in-cheek, I bet you can relate to one or more things on that list. The enemy works to distract us from our time with God. He hates it--fears it--when we “get down to business.”


When the girls were very little, I was really missing the hours of quiet time I’d had with God before they were born. But with a toddler and an infant, long-gone were quiet minutes, let alone hours. I remember feeling shameful when I told the women in my mom’s group that I had no time for God, because the earlier I got up, so did my kids. And by the end of the day, I was too tired to even give God my leftovers. One of the women in our group gave me some much-needed wisdom. She said God gives us what we need in each season and stage of our lives. She said God doesn’t care what it looks like or when and where it happens; He just wants a relationship with us. God and kids spell “love” the same way: T-I-M-E. It doesn’t have to be a big production. They just want us to be near and have us “present” with them.


Maybe this isn’t your season for an hour of quiet time. Maybe this season is a prayer-walking during your lunch break, or a worship session in your car during your 30-minute commute. My friend Andrea used to say that God created us all differently, but knows us intimately enough to speak in ways that we need and will hear. Maybe yesterday was a wash and the time you tried to carve out just didn’t pan out like you’d hoped. Brush yourself off, move on, and try again. Or better yet, ask God when and how you can meet with Him. If you’re listening, I bet He’ll both tell and show you. He promised that when you seek Him, He’ll be found by you.

©Heather Potts 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment