Thursday, May 26, 2011

More than a Conqueror

Who is it that overcomes the world? ~ 1 John 5:5

Survivor: a person who continues to function...in spite of opposition or hardship, (dictionary.com).
Overcomer: to conquer; to prevail [to prove superior, in strength, power, or influence] over (opposition, a debility, temptations, etc), (dictionary.com).

In this world there is lots of pain. People are dealing with pain in various forms everyday. Sometimes they survive the pain. Sometimes they only cover it up. But my God didn't send His one and only Son that I would simply survive. Jesus came that I would have life to the fullest, (John 10:10). Romans 8:37 tells me that I am more than a conqueror! A conqueror is someone who lives victoriously. But Jesus said that I am more!

When Jesus was here on earth, He said, "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart, for I have overcome the world," (John 16:33). That was when Jesus was still on the earth. But He also told us that when He went away He would send us His Spirit who would live inside of us and then we would do even greater things than Jesus. That is why 1 John 5 says, "everyone born of God overcomes the world...Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God," (vv 4-5). That means that since I believe that Jesus is the Son of God and His Spirit lives in me, that I can overcome the world. I no longer have to fall to temptation. I no longer have to worry. I no longer have to be bound up. Because the One who is in me is greater than the one who is in the world and if I will do even greater things than He, watch out devil!

No comments:

Post a Comment