Friday, July 15, 2011

Training

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. ~ Proverbs 22:6

Often times, this verse is referenced so that parents will teach kids about Jesus, so that as they grow up, they will always have Jesus.  I think this also refers to other types of training that kids receive.  Kids learn by hearing, seeing, and doing.  Usually the "doing" is based upon what they've heard and seen.  If children experience acceptance, security, love, grace, forgiveness, joy, and freedom, then as adults, they will both show it to others and seek it out for themselves.  But, of course, the flip-side of that is also true.

Kids don't pay attention to, "Do as I say, not as I do."  Generally it's more, "Monkey see.  Monkey do."  Jesus told His disciples that they were to obey the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, but they mustn't do as they saw others do, (see Matthew 23:2-3).  Several times, Jesus said, "Come, follow me."  Jesus wants to retrain our brains.  He wants to show us a whole new way of living: in freedom.  In church we sing, "In Your Freedom I Will Live," by Hillsong.  In God's kingdom, we are all little children.  God wants the opportunity to train you up in the way you should go.  No matter what you've lived through or what you've done, God has the power and the desire to teach you a new way: His.  All you simply have to do is ask and receive.

Lord, I know that I haven't been fully in the position you want or have designed for me.  Help me to lay down my former training and agenda.  Help me to forgive anyone whom I've judged for not showing me Your way.  Help me to release them, and Lord, please forgive me for judging them.  Father, I truly want to be a child and live in freedom in Your Kingdom.  Please train me up in the way that I should go.  In Jesus' Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment