Thursday, January 24, 2019

Cowboy Up


Take Heart ~ Hillsong

Therefore strengthen your tired hands and weakened knees, ~ Hebrews 12:12 HCSB

Before it ran out of seasons, we watched Heartland, which is about a family who owns and runs a horse ranch in Canada. Often, when someone wasn’t giving it “their all,” the ranchers would say, “Cowboy up,” which calls for an attitude shift from “can’t” to “can do.” Sometimes I have to say that to myself, especially when my physical therapist wants me to give more than I think I’ve got.

Like with push-ups; after a few weeks, I was doing 20 in a row. But my physical therapist soon realized why I could do so many: I was doing the modified-modified version. My arms were too far out from my body, and I wasn’t bringing my body low enough to the ground, so I wasn’t giving my arms the same weight-resistance, as when they are done properly. Part of the reason I’m at physical therapy is to strengthen my neck and upper body, so that I don’t get migraines and vertigo as often, as easily, or at all. But real push-ups are hard! I got through two and flopped on the ground. My physical therapist is a very nice man. He gave me a moment, then said, “go, again.”

There have been many moments in my life where I didn’t want to “go, again” or “Cowboy up.” The times that I did, even if I couldn’t make it as far or as good as I thought I should, were MUCH better than the times that I didn’t even try. Albert Einstein said, “You never fail until you stop trying.” That’s true in everything: communication, relationships, exercise, work, and life goals, everything.

Today’s verse says to strengthen our weakened hands and knees. Weak hands were a sign of someone who’d lost courage, who didn’t have faith enough to try. Whatever you’re facing today, don’t lose heart. Instead, be like Nehemiah, who—though others said his hands would weaken and he wouldn’t complete the work—prayed, Now therefore, O God, strengthen my hands, (Nehemiah 6:9 NKJV).

That’s my prayer. And though I may never get to 20 push-ups in a row, I bet next time, I’ll get more than two. What will you ask God to strengthen, so that you’ll have the courage to do?
©Heather Potts 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment