Friday, May 8, 2020

Disappointment


Lean Back ~ Amanda Cooke & Chandler Moore | Maverick City Worship 

When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.” ~ John 11:32 NIV

We've all experienced disappointment at some point in our lives. During one of our virtual group meetings, our leader asked us to speak on a disappointment, if we were comfortable. I shared the story of finding out that our second baby – which we thought was a boy, the son God said we’d have – was a little girl. My disappointment cut deep that day.

I’m certain this is similar to how Martha and Mary felt after their brother died. As Mary wept at Jesus’ feet, her disappointment and betrayal flooded to the surface. Mary believed Jesus was able to do the miracle of healing Lazarus when he was sick. But Jesus didn’t come through when and how she’d hoped. When God doesn’t come through for us as we’d like, we’re often left with feelings of disappointment and betrayal. It’s what we do with our feelings that matters. A friend encouraged me to share my raw and honest feelings with God. She said He was big enough to handle it.

It was over six years ago when we learned our second baby was a girl. Taking my friend’s advice, I took my hurting heart to God and asked Him to tell me about our little girl and what to name her. He whispered, “Elizabeth.” I began to cry the tears of a daughter who’d been tenderly touched by her loving Father when I read the meaning of her name. Elizabeth means, “Fullness or abundance of God,” a true reflection of how He filled our lives with her.

If you’re feeling disappointment or betrayal by God because He didn’t come through in the way or timing you hoped, don’t let it cause a rift between you. Instead, take your raw and honest feeling to Him. Not only is He big enough to handle it, He longs to keep those lines of communication open, so that you’ll hear and feel Him comforting you, the child He loves.
©Heather Potts 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment